While most academic writing is cautious in tone, using hedging techniques to reduce the size or force of claims, it is sometimes necessary to emphasize a point for the sake of clarity. You may wish to emphasize in order to:
- stress one cause or aspect over others
- show that an opinion is strongly held.
The following are some techniques for emphasizing:
- Use emphatic sentence structure:
- What the government must do is increase taxes to pay for services.
- Only by increasing taxes will the government address inequality
- For Wilkinson, the government’s current taxation policy is entirely unacceptable.
- For Wilkinson, there can be no doubt that redistribution is necessary.
- Most importantly, unfair taxation creates social inequality.